Thoughts on my Evicted Reading Habits

by - 5:48 PM

In Evicted there are small numbers on the end of certain phrases. Usually, these are quotes or statistics. These little numbers lead to a section called "Notes" in the back of the book. A small note corresponds to each number. I'm sure there's a better term for the system I just described, but that's all I've got. Anyway, I used to pay these no mind. They were annoying at most. As for how I felt about what else Matthew Desmond had to say, well...
Image result for i don't careWhen I picked the book up again, however, I started leafing through the "Notes" section to find the corresponding entry. I've been pleasantly surprised. The entries range from sources to commentary on statements made by the people in the book. I don't care much for the sources, but the commentary is... actually intriguing! It gives genuine insight on issues that the story doesn't have the space for. Also, most of the people contributing to these issues in the stories either don't care or don't realize.
I've decided that I like hearing what else Desmond has to say. It's important to my understanding. Is it fun having to search for the right notation? Absolutely not. It impacts how I see homelessness and the several issues that go with it, though. So maybe it's not supposed to be fun.

You May Also Like

0 comments