Infographic: The Relationships Between the Main Characters of Evicted by Matthew Desmond

by - 4:09 PM

https://coggle.it/diagram/Wo7pJxzm6QAB-6RR/t/sherrena-tarver-landlord/cd6182c47af0d3405b333e37504c4870452d08a964b14cd9ae17be274411d321


This infographic is a map of most of the major characters in the book Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond. As mentioned in my first microblog, I often found myself confused while reading this book. There are too many character to keep up with, each with their own unique relationships and stories. Just by looking at the map, it is easy to see my dilemma. These are just the most prominent figures and their families. I should probably explain the relationships, seeing how easy it is to be lost without them. The turquoise arms connect landlord and tenant. Sherrena and Quentin Tarver are the landlords of the story, and Tobin Charey owns a trailer park. The green lines connect co-workers or characters who meet and interact through work. The purple lines represent a parent-child relationship. Poorer families tend to have more children. This was certainly the case in the book. I attempted to keep track of the various fathers, but those who were no longer with the mothers are barely mentioned, forcing me to call them “unnamed” and give what little information I can find on them. In other cases, when there is no information to be found, I simply list the child and the parent they are reported to live with, leaving the other parent off of the chart. The pink/light red lines are boyfriends/girlfriends. They can be current or former partners. In the case of Lamar Richards and the mother of his children, her relationship with Lamar is not touched upon. She is only referred to as “Luke and Eddy’s mother” and is said to have left due to her addiction (Desmond 26). Orange lines mark familial relationships. The color is not specific to any relationship and the bond is specified in the description. The deep blue lines are marriages. Like the other romantic bond, it can be a current or a former marriage. There are very few of these on the map, so I am a little surprised that I gave this relationship its own color. Finally, the yellow lines signify roommates who are not related. These only came up on one occasion, but I felt it was important to Lamar’s character. It gives insight on his kind and caring personality. I tried to give facts about the personality of the characters in the descriptions. I also tried to put more thought into the relationships that just how they were connected. There’s always more to a family than the blood. Compare the Hinkinstons to Arleen’s family. The Hinkinstons are loud, lively, and are all about making the best of what they have. They care about each other, even when they prank each other. Arleen loves her family too. While she also tries to make the best of her situation, she only interacts with two of her children in the book: Jori and Jafaris. Her other children are briefly mentioned, and two of them are not even named. She is shown to be a caring mother, but has nowhere near the amount of life in her that the mothers in the Hinkinston family have. She has seen too much loss. These families are all large, but they are all so different. I think that was one of my greatest problems with this book: keeping track of what family had what dynamic. I really wish I had had this map while I was reading.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Your character map is really impressive, especially considering the sheer number of characters your book has (and to think I thought my book had a lot of characters!). It's clear you put a great deal of time and thought into it. Most relationships are more nuanced than what they appear to be on the surface, so I appreciate that your character map goes beyond merely showing how characters are related to one another. (After all, as you say, "There's more to family than blood.")

    I'm curious about the personalities of the two landlords, Sherrena and Quentin Tarver, as well as their relationships with their tenants. Are they rarely mentioned in the book (like the various unnamed fathers) or is there another reason why you didn't include any personal tidbits about them?

    ReplyDelete